How To Make Herrings in Oatmeal with Mustard Recipes - More years ago than I wish to remember I was in Lossiemouth in Scotland. The trip was made memorable by the town's celebration of the lifting of an embargo on herring fishing.
As a fishing town which crowns an annual Herring Queen, the people of Lossiemouth had a lot to celebrate.
You'll celebrate too, when you taste this herring dish, kindly supplied by The Fish Society.
80ml / 3fl oz mayonnaise
1 dsp Dijon mustard
1 dsp tarragon vinegar
1 lemon, halved
115gm / 4oz oatmeal
Salt and pepper
* Add mustard and vinegar to mayonnaise. Stir until blended. Taste and add more if necessary. Once to your taste, set the sauce aside.
* Make two shallow incisions in each side of the fish. Squeeze lemon juice into incisions.
* Season with salt and pepper.
* Dredge fish in oatmeal and press the oatmeal into the skin.
* Grill under a moderate heat for about 4 minutes on each side.
* Serve with the mustard sauce.
This recipe was kindly provided by and is copyright of The Fish Society. Visit their website for excellent seafood products delivered to your doorstep (UK only) and more tasty fish and shellfish recipes.