The Best Easy Strawberry Ice Cream Recipe - Combining your sweet cravings with a desire to maintain a healthy lifestyle is no walk in the park. This is especially challenging since from every angle and shelf in a supermarket you are tempted by sweet treats that promise to fulfill your sweet tooth.
Yet most of the time you are left with the feeling of guilt, empty calories making up your daily calorie intake and a mood low that followed a sudden sugar rush. Sounds familiar? If it does, you – just like most of us – need a treat that won’t ruin your diet and health commitments. One such dessert that offers both satisfaction and nutrients is a home-made strawberry ice cream. Strawberries are known for their sweetness, energizing red color and addictive aroma. However, these little red fruits also offer numerous health benefits since they are packed with antioxidants, fiber, vitamin C, manganese, riboflavin, potassium and vitamin K.
Throughout the ages, strawberries have been used for their anti-inflammatory and anti-aging properties, to fight flu and assist in the maintenance of healthy gums, teeth and eyes. When picking strawberries look for fruits that are firm, deeply red and plump, if you can buy the organic variety. A delicious strawberry ice cream will satisfy even the most demanding food critics – from five year olds to eighty year olds!
Strawberry Ice Cream Ingredients:
* 500g strawberries (1 cup of strawberries is approximately 150g)
* Juice of 1 freshly squeezed lemon
* 175g of caster sugar
* 300ml whipped cream
* 200g of ricotta cheese – preferably the smooth variety
1. Wash the strawberries, hull them and chop into smaller pieces.
2. Sprinkle the strawberry pieces with sugar and leave to stand for approximately 30 minutes. This will intensify the flavor of the ice cream.
3. Put the strawberry mixture into a food processor or use a hand blender to mash the strawberries.
4. Blend the freshly squeezed lemon juice with the ricotta cheese and combine with the whipped cream – mix well together.
5. Put the strawberry mixture and the lemon juice, ricotta cheese and whipped cream mixture in a freezer proof container. Mix all together and place in a freezer for 3 hours.
6. After 2 hours take the container out of the freezer and whip it out – this ensures that the ice cream won’t be full of ice crystals and the consistency remains smooth.
7. Put back into freezer for an extra 4 to 5 hours or until the ice cream is completely frozen.
8. Remove the ice cream container from the freezer some 25 minutes before consuming as letting it stand in a room temperature will soften the ice cream (since home-made ice creams are often quite hard when frozen).