How To Make Indian Spiced Rice with Prawns Recipes - This is an easy Indian rice and prawn dish, full of flavour but not spicy hot.
The rice itself will take an hour to prepare, but while it is soaking and draining, you can prepare the other ingredients then sit down and have a glass of wine. My favourite kind of recipe!
Serves 4 people
12 shrimp or prawns, shelled and deveined
1cup long grain rice
4 tbsp ghee or peanut oil (make your own ghee)
3 garlic cloves
1 large onion
4 cardamom pods
1/2 tbsp grated root ginger
1 cinnamon stick
1 tsp garam masala
2 red bell peppers
1 tsp salt
1 tsp fresh chopped coriander leaves.
* Rinse the rice in cold water, leave to soak for 30 minutes and then to drain for 30 minutes.
* While the rice is soaking, cut the shelled, deveined prawns into 3/4 inch pieces, chop the onion, finely chop the garlic, core and deseed the bell peppers cutting them in quarters and grate the ginger
* Heat the ghee or peanut oil in a large pan. Add chopped onion and fry over a low heat until transparent.
* Add the prawn pieces and stir gently until they begin to change colour.
* Remove from the heat and set aside.
* Add the garlic and ginger to the pan.
* Stir in lightly crushed cardamom pods and cinnamon.
* Add the rice, garam masala, red peppers and salt.
* Stir and add in 1 1/4 cups of boiling water. Bring quickly to the boil, cover and simmer for 25 minutes.
* When done, remove the cardamom, cinnamon and pepper quarters.
* Stir in the prawn pieces, transfer to a warmed dish, garnish with cucumber slices around the edge and sprinkle the chopped coriander over the rice.
* Serve immediately.