How To Make Scottish Clootie Dumpling Recipes - You've never lived unless you've tasted true Scottish Cloottie Dumpling at least once in your life.
Served hot with lashings of custard there can be no greater treat for the tastebuds - murder on the waistline though.
6oz self raising flour
1/4 tsp of salt
1/2 tsp of cinnamon
1/2 tsp of mixed spice
1/2 tsp of ginger
2oz soft brown sugar
1 tbsp syrup
1/2 tbsp black treacle
1oz grated carrot
4oz soft margarine
1 large apple peeled, cored and diced
Juice and zest of one orange
milk to mix
* Mix all the dry ingredients in a large bowl
* Mix in the butter
* Add the apple and carrot and mix well
* Add the syrup and treacle and mix well
* Add the zest and juice
* Add the eggs and a little milk if required
* Mix well, pour into an ovenproof bowl
* Cover the top of the mixture with greaseproof paper and then tie a piece of string around the bowl to help lift it out the pot later.
* Boil some water in a large pot and immerse the bowl until water comes halfway up its sides.
* Cover the pot and let the dumpling steam for 3 to 4 hours.
* Check often and top up the water if required.
This recipe is credited to a Mrs Fyvie from Glasgow, Scotland