How To Make Lemon Victoria Sandwich Cake Recipe - A Victoria sandwich cake is made from equal weights of eggs, butter, sugar and self-raising flour. A medium egg in its shell weighs 55g/2oz: so if you have different sized eggs,adjust the weight of the other ingredients accordingly.
If you don’t have self-raising flour, add 1/4 teaspoon baking powder to every 55g/2oz plain white flour. Traditionally. the sponge is unflavored and filled with raspberry jam or lemon curd: this is a more luxurious, buttery lemon version.
LEMON VICTORIA SANDWICH
* 225 Gram Butter Softened
* 225 Gram Caster Suger
* 4 Lemmons Finely Grated zest & Juice
* 4 Meduim Eggs
* 225 Gram Flour Self Raising Flour Sifted
* 6 tbls MILK
LEMON BUTTER CREAM
* 3 Lemons finely grated zest and juice
* 170 G Butter Softened
* 125 G Icing Suger Sifted
* sugared primroses
* 1/2 Lemon
Servings: 8 people
1) Preheat the oven to fan 170°C/gas 4. Lightly oil two 18cm/7in sandwich tins. Line the base of each with baking parchment.
2)To make the sponge cake, cream the softened butter and sugar together in a large bowl, using a wooden spoon or electric whisk, until pale and fluffy. Add the grated lemon zest.
3)Break the eggs into a jug, roughly beat with a fork and whisk a little at a time into the creamed butter. If the mixture begins to curdle, add 2 tablespoons flour. Once all the eggs have been whisked into the mixture, use a flat metal spoon to gently fold in the remaining flour in three batches. Loosen the mixture with 2 tablespoons lemon juice and 6 tablespoons milk, so that the mixture drops off the spoon in soft blobs.
4) Quickly divide the mixture between the tins and smooth the tops. Bake for about 20 minutes or until the cakes are well risen, golden brown and spring back when lightly pressed with a fingertip.
5) Place on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Then, using a knife, gently loosen the sides of each cake from its tin. Turn out, peel off the baking paper. and leave to cool.
6) To make the lemon butter cream, place the lemon zest, butter and icing sugar in a mixing bowl. Using an electric whisk, beat thoroughly until light and fluffy. Then gradually whisk in 41/2 tablespoons lemon juice.
7) Once the cakes are cold, spread a third of the butter cream on one of the cakes. Sandwich the other cake on top, baked-side up. Spread another third of the cream on the top and the remaining third around the sides of the cake. Chill for 30 minutes to set the butter cream.
8) Decorate with sugared primroses or cut a lemon in half lengthways, and then cut into thin slices.