How To Make Granny's Scottish Shortbread Recipes - My Gran's house always smelled delicious. She always had something in the oven and one of our favourites was her shortbread.
I make it for my own grandkids now and they love it just as much as my brother and I did.
4 ozs of softened butter
2 ozs of caster sugar
5 ozs plain flour
1 oz cornflour
Rind of a lemon (finely grated)
1 teaspoon of caster sugar to sprinkle
* Beat the butter, sugar and lemon rind together in a large bowl until the mixture becomes creamy.
* Sift the flour and cornflour over the mixture and mix with a wooden spoon until you get a smooth, soft dough.
* Sprinkle a little cornflour on your work top.
* Roll out the dough into a 7 inch circle.
* Carefully transfer your dough circle onto a baking tray and crimp the edges with by pinching the dough between finger and thumb.
* Score the circle with a knife to create six equal wedges.
* Chill for an hour in the fridge.
* Bake in a moderate oven for about 30 minutes or until it is a pale golden colour.
* Remove from the oven and rescore the wedges.
* Sprinkle caster sugar over the top of the shortbread and allow to cool on the baking tray for a little while before transferring it to a wire rack to cool completely.