How To Make German Chocolate Birthday Cake Recipes - This cake is perfect for birthday parties and is loaded with a sweet frosting, some pecans, coconut, and a touch of vanilla to make this a cake to remember.
* 4 eggs, (separated)
* 1 package (4 ounces) "German sweet chocolate"
* 1/2 cup water
* 1 cup of butter (softened)
* 2 cups sugar of regular sugar
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 2-1/2 cups of cake flour
* 1 teaspoon of baking soda
* 1/2 teaspoon of salt
* 1 cup of buttermilk
* Coconut-Pecan Frosting
* 1 cup evaporated of milk
* 1 cup of sugar
* 3 egg yolks (lightly beaten)
* 1/2 cup of butter
* 1-1/3 cups of flaked coconut
* 1 cup of chopped pecans
* 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1. Make sure the eggs are set out for about 30 miniutes for room tempature. You need a greased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking pan with waxed paper. Grease and flour the paper; set aside.
2. In a saucepan, melt chocolate in water over low heat; cool. In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add chocolate mixture and vanilla; mix well. Combine flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. In a small mixing bowl and with clean beaters, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into batter.
3. Spread batter evenly into prepared pan. Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before inverting onto a wire rack to cool completely. Remove waxed paper.
4. For frosting, combine the milk, sugar, egg yolks, butter and vanilla in a large saucepan; cook and stir over medium heat until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in coconut, pecans and vanilla. Beat until frosting is cool and achieves spreading consistency. Place cake on a serving platter; spread frosting over top and sides. Yield: 12-15 servings.