How To Make Crunchy Macaroni Cheese Recipes - No matter how fussy your kids are, they will love this recipe for Macaroni Cheese. The addition of crisps (potato chips to our friends in the USA) magically turns the dish into a treat. Cheese and Onion or Smokey Bacon flavour are our favourites.
Crunchy Macaroni Cheese Ingredients:
* 1 small packet of macaroni
* 2oz butter or margarine
* 60z strong cheddar cheese - grated
* 30z plain flour
* 1 teaspoon English mustard
* 1 pint of milk
* salt and white pepper to taste
* 1 tomato - sliced (optional)
* 2 bags of flavoured crisps (potato chips)
1. Cook macaroni as directed on the packet
2. Melt butter in a large pan
3. Add the flour to the melted butter and stir with a wooden spoon for about a minute
4. Add milk, a little at a time, constantly stirring until you have a nice thick sauce.
5. Add salt, pepper and mustard.
6. Take half the cheese and add it to the sauce, stirring until all the cheese has melted into the sauce
7. Drain macaroni and add to the sauce, stirring well to make sure the macaroni is well covered
8. Transfer the macaroni and cheese sauce into an ovenproof dish
9. Crush the two bags of crisps and fold the crumbs into the remaing half of the grated cheese.
11. Lay tomato slices over the top of the macaroni cheese
12. Sprinkle cheese and crushed crisps over the top
13. Place under a medium grill until the topping is golden brown and serve.