Vietnamese Chicken and Pumpkin Soup Recipes - This is a Vietnamese recipe (Canh ga be dao). Though easy to make and requiring very few ingredients it does take 2 1/2 hours to make from start to finish.
That is ideal if you are having guests and get the soup stock on the stove early, leaving you free to get on with other dishes.
1 1/2 lbs of chicken bones
Two cups chopped, cooked chicken (optional)
6 spring onions
1 1b pumpkin
1 tbsp Vietnamese fish sauce (Nuoc mam)
Salt and freshly ground pepper
* Bring 2 1/2 pints of water to the boil in a saucepan.
* Add chicken bones, spring onions and a little salt.
* The chicken bones will casue a froth on the surface of the stock. Scoop this off from time to time with a slotted spoon.
* Cover the pan and simmer the stock for two hours.
* Skin the pumkin and cut into 3/4 inch cubes. Set to one side
* Remove stock from the heat and strain well.
* Return to the heat and bring back to the boil.
* Add chicken meat if desired.
* Add pumpkin cubes and season with the fish sauce and pepper. Add more salt if needed. Stir and simmer for 3 minutes.
* Serve in warm bowls.