How To Make Bubble and Squeak Recipes - Bubble and Squeak is an old English dish, traditionally made as a way to use up the leftovers of Sunday's dinner.
The name comes from the noise the dish makes as it is cooking in the pan. Nowadays, Bubble and Squeak is often made without the cold roast beef and the meat can be omitted if you prefer.
2 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion
12 oz cabbage
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dried marjoram
12 oz cold roast beef or lamb
11/2 lbs mashed potatoes
* Coarsely chop the onion
* Coarsely shred the cabbage
* Coarsely chop the cold meat
* Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a frying pan.
* Add onion and soften it over a moderate heat.
* Mix in the cabbage, salt and marjoram.
* Stir over heat for a few minutes.
* Add meat and potatoes and cook for five minutes.
* Carefully turn the mixture and cook for a further five minutes until crisp and brown underneath.
* Serve hot.