How To Make Basil Pepper Biscuits Recipes - Basil is good for your heart and is a natural anti-inflammatory. Black pepper has many health benefits too from being an anti-bacterial agent and a natural stimulant to having a beneficial effect on hayfever and (believe it or not) flatulence.
Okay. Now you can finish the whole lot by yourself and not feel guilty.
1/4 cup shortening
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
2 teaspoons dried basil leaves
1 tablespoon sugar -- if desired
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
3/4 cup milk (about)
* Heat oven to 450º.
* Cut shortening into remaining ingredients (except milk) in medium bowl with pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles fine crumbs.
* Stir in just enough milk so dough leaves side of bowl and forms a ball. (Too much milk will make dough sticky; not enough will make biscuits dry.)
* Turn dough onto lightly floured surface.
* Knead lightly 20 to 25 times.
* Roll or pat 1/2 inch thick.
* Cut with floured 2 1/2-inch biscuit cutter.
* Place on ungreased cookie sheet about 1 inch apart for crusty sides,
* touching for soft sides.
* Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown.
* Immediately remove from
* cookie sheet. Serve warm.